< More Directories etc.
Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire, 1913
WATERS UPTON, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Whitchurch and Market Drayton, one mile north of Crudgington station on the Wellington and Market Drayton branch of the Great Western railway, 5 north from Wellington and 7½ miles west from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington petty sessional division, union and county court district, deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, rebuilt in 1865 at an expense of about £2,000, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, at a cost of £57; there are four stained windows, and a porch, built in 1909, as a memorial to the Rev. John B. Davies M.A. rector (1866-1906); the church affords 151 sittings. The register dates from the year 1547; burials, from 1679-84 and 1686-92, are in the registers of Ercall Magna. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £290, including 2½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. John Bayley Davies M.A. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Samuel Hobson M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. There is a charity for the poor of this parish, yearly value about £14, left by the late Mr. Wase, of Shrewsbury, who built and lived at the Hall, which is now the residence of Ernest James Fisk esq. The principal landowners are Mr. L. V. Yonge, E. J. Fisk esq. A. Lea Juckes esq. Mrs. J. B. Davies and the rector. The soil is of a mixed, light, sandy nature; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 721 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,435; population in 1911, 185.
Sexton Edward John Austin.
Post & M. O. Office.—Edward L. Parry, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington at 7.15 a.m. & 2.35 p.m.; dispatched at 7 & 10.10 a.m. & 7·5 p.m.; no Sunday post. High Ercall, 3½ miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built & opened in 1874, for 50 children; average attendance, 30; Miss Ethel May Vaughan, mistress
Davies Mrs. J. B. The White house
Fisk Ernest Jas. Waters Upton hall
Hobson Rev. Samuel M.A. (rector), Rectory
Juckes Arthur Lea
Yonge Rev. Lyttelton Vernon B.A. (vicar of Rowton)
Early closing day, Thursday 1 p.m.
Ball Arthur, rate collector
Bennett Sml. Thos. boot & shoe ma
Crewe Elizh. W. (Miss), private schl
Dicken Mabel & Edith (Misses), cowkeepers
James Ann (Mrs.), butcher
Jervis William, farmer
Morgan John S. butcher
Morgan Robert, farmer
Owen Elizabeth (Mrs. ), Swan inn
Parry Edwd.Lewis, grocer, Post office
Price William Henry, beer retailer
Rider Ernest Dicken, poultry farmer
Ridgway Alfred, carpenter
Ridgway Charles John, blacksmith
Tomlinson Albert, farmer
Woolley Wm. farmer, The Terrill
From page 278 of the directory. Transcribed from a copy viewed online at the University of Leicester Special Collections website.